Although I hesitate to call anything foolproof, this recipe is so easy and flexible that even a recipe-dependent cook like me can make it without a recipe.
Black Bean Salad
Whisk together the following to make a dressing:
- juice of two limes
- olive oil–aim for 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the lime juice
- some freshly ground black pepper
- some salt
Add to the dressing:
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- a bell pepper, diced
- two jalapeño peppers, finely chopped (use gloves when chopping; if you remove seeds and inner membranes, the peppers will have almost no heat)
- a lot of chopped cilantro
- two or three green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- kernels sliced from two ears of cooked sweet corn (or use frozen sweet corn, thawed)
- big handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half (I used Sun Gold tomatoes from my garden!)
The salad improves after a night in the refrigerator.